Blog: Notes That Matter at http://www.historical-matters.com
Location: Salina, KS, available nationwide
Topics: preservation of archival collections, lineage societies, genealogical methods, research in Kansas and Iowa
- "Cheating Time" Methods for preserving family heirlooms, papers and photographs for the next generation
- "Help! I've Fallen Under My Genealogy Notes and I Can't Get Up"
Organize your notes so you can find what you need, when you want it
- "Introduction to Land in America"
- "Kinship Theory and Genealogy"
Family is more than just a blood-line.
- "Women Homesteaders"
- "The Numerical Index"
The other land record. Trace the land itself to find missing heirs and migration paths
- "Genealogy 101"
A brief introduction to genealogy and family history for beginners
- "Best Sources for Civil War Research"
Top Five places to find records on your Civil War ancestor, and a few more.
- "The Silent Stone Speaks"
Learn what organizations your ancestor belonged to by the symbols on their tombstones
- "Portrait of an ancestor"
Place your ancestors in their historical context.
- "More Than Just Pretty Pictures"
Effectively use maps in genealogical research. Geography for genealogists.
- "Bring' em Back Alive!: Capturing Ancestors Today"
Tips for recording and transcribing oral histories of the living ancestors.
- "There's No Place Like Home!"
Find your ancestors without leaving the comfort of your hometown using home and local library resources.
- "Don't Leave Home Without It"
Prepare to take your research on the road and make your trip effective.
- "Getting Past Your Brick Wall"
The clue you need may be buried in your notes. Learn the secret used by the professionals -- the research report.
- "Read That Deed For All Its Worth"
Are you using ALL the clues found in a deed, mortgage, lease, and other individual land transfers?
- "So you want to hire a professional genealogist"
How to contact, evaluate, and engage a professional genealogist and get the best value for your money.
- "So you want to be a professional genealogist"
Some things to think about before you "hang out your shingle."
- "A Proud Heritage"
Are you eligible for membership in one of the many hereditary societies? Learn how to submit a successful application.
- "Genealogical Research in Iowa"
An overview of the history, geography and settlement of Iowa with the major repositories for genealogical research
- "Historic Trails Across Kansas"
Because of the state’s central location, Kansas was a pass-through area for many early trails. These included military roads, commercial trails and immigrant routes westward.
- "Genealogical research in Kansas"
An overview of the history, geography and settlement of Kansas with the major repositories for genealogical research
- "Kansas on the World Wide Web"